Monday, April 14, 2008

Existence

Soaking up the brief seconds of sun
Desperately clawing to hold on
Before the imminent darkness closes in
I breathe
Deep
Unsure of when the next opportunity for air will appear
The Clouds begin closing in
Suffocating,
Heavy Shadows creep into my heart
The fighting and struggling slowly gives way
To surrender

How long this time
Will it ever be the last
So I wait to exhale
Looking for the sliver of light to reappear

It comes
Slowly
From two sets of big brown eyes
A small voice singing in broken Spanish
A giggle of delight
A strong hand enveloping my weak one
The confident recognition of a familiar letter
The proud smile of accomplishment
A well captured photograph

I listen to the slow
methodical breathing beside me
It reminds me I am not alone
When the darkness parts
I will see the arms that have been holding me
I will breathe again
Maybe even fly
If only for a brief moment
I will fight one more time

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Very nice!

How's life?

4/14/2008  
Blogger Adriel Sebastiaan said...

I can't believe how moving this was. So honest and accurate of the human condition. The choice to lean on those we love, and that love us. You may enjoy this group of poets on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2361649267 .

You've shown that the most meaningful writing comes from right in the center of our hearts! Bravo.

4/22/2008  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home